Current Research Interests
My research interests involve various aspects of gravitational wave astronomy: detection of gravitational waves, methods of parameter estimation, test of General Relativity, detector characterization. Plasma physics: plasma and fluid turbulence, magnetic reconnection and phenomena in plasma astrophysics.
Other interests : different numerical methods/algorithms for the simulation of computational fluid dynamics problems, computational magnetohydrodynamics, particle-in-cell (PIC) simulations, molecular dynamics simulations, parallel and grid computing.
- Visiting Associate at Inter University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune, India.
- 2016 Special Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics for the observation of gravitational waves.
- Research Fellowship from Department of Atomic Energy, India (September 2006 – August 2012) to carry out PhD. work at IPR, Gandhinagar, India.
- IndIGO-LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC).
- Indian Initiative in Gravitational Wave Observations (IndIGO) Consortium.
- Association of Asia Pacific physical Societies – Division of Plasma Physics (AAPPS – DPP).
- Plasma Science Society of India (PSSI).
Latest Five Publications
- Gaur, Gurudatt, Sengupta, Anand S., Ajith, P., “A comparison of geometrical and exact match coincidence in gravitational wave searches from binary black holes.” Under Preparation.
- Gaur, Gurudatt as part of LIGO Scientific Collaboration and Virgo Collaboration (B.P. Aboott et al.,), GW170817: Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Neutron Star Inspiral Published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 161101 (2017).
- Gaur, Gurudatt as part of LIGO Scientific Collaboration and Virgo Collaboration (B.P. Aboott et al.,), GW170814: A Three-detector Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Coalescence Published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 141101 (2017).
- Gaur, Gurudatt, and Predhiman K. Kaw, "Tearing and surface preserving electron magnetohydrodynamic modes in a current layer."Published inPhysics of Plasmas 23, 032106 (2016).
- Gaur, Gurudatt as part of LIGO Scientific Collaboration and Virgo Collaboration (B. P. Abbott et al.), "Observation of gravitational waves from a binary black hole merger"Published inPhysical review letters 116, 061102 (2016).
Projects & Grants
- Co-PI of SERB Extra Mural Project “A Bayesian approach for CBC parameter reconstruction and tests of General Relativity using amplitude-corrected post-Newtonian waveforms”, funded by Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (2017-2019).
- Co-PI of Project “Development of plasma rotating electrode process to obtain high purity spherical metallic powders”, funded by DAE-BRNS.
- Referee of Physics of Plasmas.
- Convener of the Conference on Recent Trends in Physical Sciences (CRPPS – 2016).
- Member: Board of Studies, Academic Council.
- Organizer of public lectures in physics.