Current Research /applied work Interest
Secondary metabolites are the compounds which are produced by the plants, but, do not participate in primary metabolism. Many of such compounds are considered as neutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, flavours, fragrancess, food additives, etc. Such important compounds can be extracted by plants directly or through plant cell cultures. Cell culture systems has definite advantages over the plant.
- The cells are grown and multiplied under laboratory conditions thus natural resource is conserved.
- Novel compounds which can not be produced by plants, may be possible to produce by the cells under in vitro conditions.
The work is carried out on extraction, identification and purification of certain medicinally important compounds from the plant cells in the following way
- Identification of the plant
- Development of celll cultures
- Optimisation of physico chemical parameters necessary for production of the compound.
- Selection of celll lines and its proliferation
- Extraction of the targetted compound
- Isolation of pure compound
- Authentication of the compound through analytical methods like LCMS NMR
Currently 4 such important compounds are being produced namely antioxident, antidiabetic and antilipidemic.
- R. S. Nadgauda, V. A. Parasharami and A. F. Mascarenhas (1990) Composition useful for enhancing and controlling the flowering in bamboo species. No.175365.
- Phadke C.H., N.N. Nagarwala, V.A. Parasharami, R.S. Nadgauda and A.F. Mascarenhas (1990) The invention related to a composition (media) useful for shoot sprouting and multiplication of mature bamboo species US patent. Application No.1209/DEL/90
- Phadke C.H., N.N. Nagarwala, V.A. Parasharami, R.S. Nadgauda and A.F. Mascarenhas (1998) A composition (medium) useful for shoot sprouting and multiplication of mature bamboo species US patent. No.5750401.
- 4. Nadgauda R.S., I.S. Poonawala and M.M. Jana (1996) Comparision useful for the propagation of the Phragmites species. Indian patent, Application No. NF 209/96.
- Vasantrao Naik Agroforestry Award (2003)
- All India Biotechnology Association, IBA Award (1998-99)
- Agroforestry Federation Award (1998)
- National Sciences Academy Prof. Sheel Memorial Award (1996)
- CSIR - Technology Award (1991)
- VASVIK Award – Smt. Chandaben Mohanbhai Patel Industrial Research award for Women Scientists (1990)
- Fie Foundation Award (1990)
- Adishakti Award (1998-99)
- National Academy of Sciences Fellow
- Third World Academy of Sciences for women, Italy Fellow
- Maharashtra Academy of Sciences, Maharashtra Fellow
- International Association of Plant Tissue Culture Member
- Plant Tissue Culture Association (India) Member
- Bamboo Society Member
- University Women’s Council Member
- Indian Women Scientist’s Association Member
Latest / Selected Five Publications
- Nadgauda R.S., V.A. Parasharami and A.F. Mascarenhas, (1990) Precocious flowering and seeding behavior in tissue cultured bamboos Nature, 344 (6264): 335-336.
- Santosh Kumar, Rajani Nadgauda (2014). Control of Morphological Aberrations in Somatic Embryogenesis of Commiphora wightii (Arnott) Bhandari (Family: Burseraceaea) Through Secondary Somatic Embryogenesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci., 1-10, doi:10.1007/s40011-014-0347-2.
- Neeraj Jain, Rajani S. Nadgauda (2013). Commiphora wightii (Arnott) Bhandari-A natural source f guggulsterone: facing a high risk of extinction in its natural habitat. American Journal of Plant Sciences 4:57-68
- Neeraj Jain, Ganesh B. Patil, Poonam Bhargava, Rajani S. Nadgauda (2014) In Silico Mining of EST-SSRs in Jatropha curcas L. towards Assessing Genetic Polymorphism and Marker Development for Selection of High Oil Yielding Clones. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 2014, 5, 1521-1541
- M V Shirgurkar,V B Naik,Sara Von Arnold,R S Nadgauda and David H. ClaphamAn efficient protocol for genetioc transformation and shoot regeneration of Turmeric (Curcuma longa Linn) Accepted Plant Cell Reports, March 25(2006)
- Member Governing council IAR, Gandhinagar.
- Member Academic Council IAR, Gandhinagar.
- Member of executive council for Indian Journal of Plant Physiology.
- Expert member for the National certification programme for tissue culture units.
- Recognised Guide of Pune University for Biotechnology Ph. D programme.
- Recognised Guide of SDAU biotech Ph.D programme.
- Course coordinator for Msc Plant Mol boil. and Biotechnology two years programme.
- Member of the Committee for constituting B.Sc. Biotech syllabus for Pune University.
- Member of the task group established for designing the B.Sc. applied course Biotechnology for Pune University.
- Governing Council member for Vidya Pratishtans school of Biotechnology.
- Guide for Pune University for M.Sc student, partly by thesis and partly by papers (1988-1995).
- Expert member of Research and Recognition Committee for Botany.2003-2005.
- Member of the Board of Paper setters for M.Sc. Botany held during June, 2002.
- Member of Board of Paper setters for M. Sc. Biotechnology for Goa University , (1998-2000).
- Member of Board of Studies for Biosciences, Pune University (2001-2002).
- Imparted summer training to various students at B.Sc and M.Sc. Biotechnology and Botany students.
- Teaching as a guest faculty to Biotech at Pune University since 1992.
- Acted as a International Advisory Board member for international plant biotech meeting held in Orlando USA, 2001.
- Convened an International workshop on Tree Biotechnology, November, 2002.
- Head of tissue culture pilot plant at National chemical Laboratory Pune
- Head, Plant Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory, IAR, Gandhinagar
- Dean, Institute of Advanced Research, Gandhinagar
- Recognized PhD, M.Phil and M.Sc. guidance committee member at Central University of Gujarat and Nirma University.